Thursday 22 January 2009

Moonstruck, 1987 [* * * * *]



I've given up seeing movies on screen for the present - they're all so mediocre. Instead I'm picking well-loved favorites that have stood the test of time and going with my two fav. categories - romance and sci fi - to bring my interest back to the silver screen. It's annoying to be bored, and feels even more terrible to try to grin and bear it/make the best of it/whatever. I'm not cut out for that.

So, Moonstruck.

It's a humorous story about the suddenness of love and how a really meticulous and perfectionist woman falls into the chaos that we call 'love'. And Cher carries off the role to perfection - she's got such a lovely face and an independent, unique style that comes across in her voice as a woman who knows her mind and isn't afraid to speak it.

Nicholas Cage is, as always, a little looney, a little bit of an emo loser and every woman's nightmare, but I could stand a movie like this where men play secondary roles to some very powerful insightful performances by the women.

There's a theme of man = wolf throughout that's like a subtle undertow of criticism of male opportunism and a set of dogs that appear periodically to remind the viewer of the domesticated wolf in our midst. Very classy.:)

I really enjoyed the movie.

No comments: