Friday 20 February 2009

Music - Kate Bush, 1978 [* * * * * *]

I was very much in sighing love with my Heathcliff(:D) when I heard this song - Wuthering Heights - it's brilliant and mesmerizing, and was eventually used in the movie. Kate Bush is early gothic and you can feel the darkness of gothic passion - the simmering heat of Emily Bronte's 1847 novel of two strong people whose love eventually destroys them ("Cathy and Heathcliff are two halves of the same soul, and are good and evil, angel and devil ..." struck down by 'earthly coils').

The song was born whole, like Cliffs of Dover, and written in a few minutes. Kate identified with the suffering heroine, her namesake, in the book. It's fascinating lyrics, the composition, the choreography, her voice have wild, untamed depth (A lot of men hate everything about it - see how you feel:).

You had a temper like my jealousy
Too hot, too greedy.

How could you leave me,
When I needed to possess you?
I hated you. but I loved you, too.
Too long I roamed in the night. I'm coming back to his side, to put it right. I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering, Wuthering Heights

No comments: