Wednesday 19 January 2011

The Expendables (2010) [* * * * *]

I'm going to take my time and review those movies that I liked separately - more to figure out what I liked and didn't like about them.:)

In The Expendables, I was wowed by the lineup - Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mickey Rourke, Dolf Lundgren and Jet Li ... all the hunks in one movie! Yum.
The story is simple - a guy movie - bunch of mercenaries who finally find a cause (woman in trouble) and turn into knights in shining armor.

Very entertaining except for how unhappy Jet Li looks in it. His role is minimal with a lot of anti-Asian jokes and he needs to be saved - I thought that was an unfairly western condescension towards all things eastern. Also the women are just props, but hey, that's what makes a 'guy-movie' - stereotypes - so we can live with it.:)

No comments: