Friday 31 October 2008

Fashion [* * * *]


I went from vacuous men to vacuous women viewing Fashion but I must have two standards because I identified and empathized with this movie.

The story wasn't bad at all, and when it drags at least it does so on heavier emotional content that's hard to explore visually.

For example, when the smalltown girl tries to show humility or gratitude to the bigwigs of the fashion world who treat her like a brainless clotheshorse, it's confused and boring. But when the moviemaker covers something real, like the women losing their sense of identity from the demands of the profession and ambition ... gosh, it's so believeable.

I
get lost so often when I'm trying to go-git and suddenly find I've left my compassion or basic humanity somewhere along the way, and I have to stop to regret and return to it or lose my entire ambition.

I really liked how that was portrayed. It was genuine, identifiable experience for girls with a modelling dream - torn between who they are and who they have to be to succeed in patriarchal, image-driven, avante garde. [wait ... did I just blame patriarchy again!!?! it's alright, all that skin sells modelling, fashion and shows to another generation of glamgirls and confused boys ... and ... what was with the product placement, Madhur? lol]

No comments: