Sunday 24 January 2010

A temptation at a farm well


On my way to the bath place a distance of 3 kms from home, there are a few things of interests.

There is a place before a village of 30 houses, two large tamarind trees, which nests cuckoos. If u respond to their calls it could go on and on with their lovely tunes.

There is a church with tiled roof and no church spires. A temple close to that and a plot of curry leaves ,kept trim with the occasional harvest.

A row of electric pylons criss-crossing a farm of small mango trees, banana plantations, then my kid’s school, a few guava trees and a farm of coconut palms.

The road is at the edge of a hillock. Hugging the road is a well with a pump set which brings out the water to a tank. The water over flows to a muddy canal to feed the fields. Today the motor was on and the water was gushing .

My vehicle( tvs two wheeler) crossed it and then”u” turned to stop at the well.( my vehicle has taken a part of my mind and feelings I guess.)

The water flowing out of the large pipe filled the small tank and overflowed, I was quick with my shorts and trashing away at the water .

After the initial enthusiasm faded I laid down and let the water fall across the potted belly and flow away into the canal. I watched the sour lime fruits hanging over the tank, the tall coconut trees with their heavy fruits.( flowing water can make one loose sence of age and discipline.)

I saw an occasional bus pass by. Poor travelers, no stops here at the well for them, so they must have all been jealous from the looks. I did call the ones going on the bicycles to come and enjoy the surging waters. Most just smiled and went away; maybe some saw me as one who landed from the moon, too bad.

I enjoyed for some more time and then went back home, short circuiting my bathing schedule and place, for a good break fast of dosais and coconut chutney.

No comments: