Sunday 6 December 2009

Blessings from a chained slave



I was brought to my sences with the tinkle of that bell and the squels of kids "aaaanai aaaanai"I walked out to see a gathering of kids and adults around an elephant and his mahout on his topThey paraded the streets taking money and offerring blessings. I watched the scene and it brought out scientific truths in my mind , elephants can absorb atomic radiationlike the horses and the cows and that is why their dung is also respected,.. ok wonderfull.
My kiddy mind was seeing the eyes of the elephant, watery and liquid and warm and sending out feelings,I saw his foot mangled with a chain,i saw his gigantic royal stance brought to shame with the stick of the mahout.
Ours is a land of culture, with an elephant head as a lord and is this how we treat a lord in visible form,Dragging him around the towns ,whose feet are used to mud and grass and green foliage, to walk on tar, ashpalt roads?
I asked the mahout why dont u beg and let this creature just walk with u, u tie a chain with your leg and his leg together.I was given looks. even the local folks eyed me as foolish, and u wont get blessings this way.
I went to pray and asked GANESA "ennapa seriya"( is this ok ,man?) he gave me his answer in silence.
That evening i noticed him again, this time i saw a child hold two rupees in his hand, waiting to get mint with a hole.He saw the elephant, he went and got a banana and ran to the elephant and gave him that, the elephant eyed me from a distance Took the banana, Blessed the kid , turned around and with a swish of his tail, walked away MAJESTICALLY.

1 comment:

Local said...

One day, I hope there will be a truer justice. When we no longer need to be ashamed to call ourselves human.