Thursday 10 December 2009

How to Cook a South Indian Meal in 20 mins

(Venkhat has totally influenced me with his writing! Now I've got words and ideas pouring through my head and I can't resist blogging in his simple style. Thanks, venkhat!:)

When I first began living on my own, I met this wonderful person who saved me from starvation. She told me how to cook a whole meal in 20 mins. Let me share it here, in case someone else would find it useful.

1. You need a pressure cooker with 3 vessels.
2. In the lowest one you put rice.
3. The next one you put daal, tamarind and tomato. In the top one you put chopped veggies.
4. When it's getting done, which takes 12 mins, keep a kadai ready with some oil, fry some papad (and make pooris if you're very efficient.:p).
5. Then, keeping only about 4 ladles of oil, make your tempering (mustard, jeera, red chillies and curry leaves) and fry some onions. Put half your tempering on the daal water and put the boiled veggies on the rest in the kadai, add the fried onion and make a dry veggie palya.
6. When that's done, you remove it and sieve the stock and tomatoes into the kadai and boil for 3 mins adding rasam powder. Remove it from the kadai.
7. Next add the sieved daal from the middle pan into the kadai and make a sambar with half your veggies. Keep your sambar masala ready in a tin (grated coconut/pwdr with red chilli, garam masala, dhaniya and jeera powder).
Voila! 20 mins! :D

1 comment:

venkhat said...

If a person can encourage a lady with quality to bring on inner talents and creativity, the words are a compliment, i THANK U.

Venkhat