Saturday 26 December 2009

One Morning at the Village Market


I walked to the village market last morning as usual, the misty morning found me with my turban , protecting my ears.

The vendors lay their wares at the roadside near a local temple, most of them are direct

from the orchards near by and some get their wares from others to make a living.

It is a place for gossiping and to let out early morning steamy tension, we can see a friend bargaining for a coconut, or a beauty, sweet talking to a flower seller for an inch more of a garlanded jasmine.

All the wares are for small time families, so we can see 3 tomatoes laid for display or 2 brinjals, a palm full of goose berries or a small bundle of drum stick leaves for 2 rupees. The veggies are arranged in a pyramid shape for 2 rupees or a bit more now.

Fresh country variety coriander bundles are my favorite at 5 rupees a bundle, as I have been taught that they leech away the heavy metals from our system and more.

The seasonal custard apples are a craze, the vendors bring them in bamboo baskets and Sell 6 or more of them for 10 rupees.

The beauty women hackle and tackle a man vendor or a lady and get their wants at a bargain and still take away an extra to satisfy their heart of getting an added veggie.

There is a family that sells hot steamy moong dal sundal with flowery coconut shavings a palm full packed in a cone shaped paper packet for less than 3 rupees.

The fresh country brinjals ,small and bright are the chief crowd pullers,and so are the ladies finger, and bottle gourds.

I wind my way around the crowd and get to work my mind as to what my lady would like to have among these.

Ginger for 2 rupees and curry leaves for 1 rupee. country tomatoes for 4 rupees and a fluid heard heavy dark coconut for 5 rupees and drum sticks for 2 rupees each and a red rose for 2. and a fresh papaya at 4 .

I walk back with the load in a small weaved basket of coloured plastic, happily showing off my buys to those who see me on my way home.

2 comments:

Local said...

You paint such a lovely picture of India! Thanks for articles like this, Venkhat.

You're such a blessing to this blog!:)

venkhat said...

you are such an encouragement yoda