Thursday 1 September 2022

An expectorant called...... Brandy

 Don't ask me why past stories are surfacing....the recent sniffle, must have touched memory spots.


It must have been the days when the price of petrol was slowly rising from rupees three per litre and moving inches, with inflation.

The evening of seeing patients was over, (eight o clock) I made a walk to see my paternal uncle and aunt, who stayed a few houses away, in a thatched hut, adjusant to their big house.

In between my talking nonsense of no value, I had bouts of cough.

He let his lady make two small onioned egg dish, and made a quick drink of a cap full, in a small glass, with a smirk. "Drink up", he said.


Sweet talking some more, I was off.

The next two days was expectoration and more, bringing up all the phlegm.

On the next visit, no enquiry was even made, it was visible enough.

Then on, from a bottle of McDowell brandy, a cap full in a small tumbler of water, was the expectorant for my patients, no gender variation. (do not know when it stopped)

P. S.
Each doctor must be having their own preferences in prescribing an expectorant. ( my secret is out)  

No comments: