Thursday 1 September 2022

Look alike Grandma....

 My Grandma passed away more than three decades ago, but she still lives in my memory.


She was the first of a large family of nine, and the second wife to my Grand Dad, with two kids already ahead, of six of her own.

My granny was with those big ear studs, heavy enough to draw her ear lobes down, to make a large gap to fill her jewelry.

She was short, dark, wrinkled, and a beauty with her kindness, and grace.

She wore no spectacles, nor any hearing aids, she sat in a corner at her meals, her back to the family, she was up when awake, let it be anytime of the night.

She ran the household, while grandpa walked with the panchayat and set to govern the village at his thinnai darbar.

The family rose to her sounds in the kitchen than to the rays of the sun, in her home.

I was reminded of her, seeing a lookalike in the campus, my respects to my Granny then, was kiddish, and mischievous, if she was here now.....!
Maybe a few words of concern, some time to listen to her woes, maybe a passing smile, and a wave.

Maybe someone else do see me as an image of their own, at an angle, or gesture.
(Am mistaken for an another, in strange places)

Ours is a big World, but small in our circle.


P. S.
The reasons for that generation to be called Grand, must have been many, and Great with the previous ones, We better live to our best to follow the tradition.

No comments: