Friday 12 February 2010

Menacing Monkeys


Ellampillai has been invaded by a troop of monkeys, they seem to like our food and timidity.

I was sitting at the verandah of my work station with the western building shading me from the afternoon sun , the swaying anaconda palms inviting a breeze, I was letting my imaginations wander.

It was at this time a monkey with a rope tied to the waist, ( must have been a prisoner to a human) walked along the rails just a few feet away from my face, it was a stunning shock, it stopped for a split second and then moved on to treat it self to the anaconda berries.

Many a child and an elderly person has been raided of their eatables and bitten for their generosity in the hand or face.

My mom noticed one person, who had got fresh vadais from a shop opposite our home, come to sit at our tree shade to relish them, when the monkey got on top and sat on his shoulders, he quietly gave away his snacks, it left his shoulders for the safety of the branches.

About three of the troop, have been rid off and the remaining have decided to escape from the catchers ,to stay as our guests, stealing the lunch boxes of the unwary workers, terrorising the children and all alike.

No comments: